ABOUT THIS DEPARTMENT
- Date 15 Dec 2021
- Ward Number Ward 32,34,35 (Male & Female)
- Bed Capacity 42 Beds
- Staff 2 Consultants, 3 Nursing Officers, 3 HMA
- Consultant Dr.W.J Thushan Piyasiri, Consultant Oncologist | Dr. L.V. Abeynayake, Consultant Oncologist
- Clinic Dates Thursday 8.00 a.m - 12.00 p.m Tuesday
ABOUT THIS DEPARTMENT
The Cancer Center at PGH Badulla strives to be the leading regional provider of comprehensive cancer care services to improve both the quality of life and the health status of cancer patients. The Department offers a comprehensive range of inpatient and outpatient services to help patients navigate the steps from diagnosis and treatment to recovery and survivorship.
- Department consists of Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy, Iodine treatment (referrals from whole country) & Oncology/ Onco-Surgical unit
- Our oncology services expansion (2 consultants 2018 to 4 Consultants 2021)
- Conducting Oncology outreach clinics in BH-Mahiyangana
- From 2018-2021 bed capacity 116-122 , BOR above 80%
- Iodine unit – we have the best Iodine treatment unit in the county and performing 120 treatments per month. Hospitals all over the country can refer patients to us.
3rd overall performance in Sri Lanka
4th Highest Bed capacity in Sri Lanka
Highest iodine treatment centre in Sri Lanka
- According to the master plan to initiate Pediatric oncology, Hemato oncology units
- Second iodine unit
- Complete the 6 story building and initiate cancer care ICU & Theatre.
Other Units under Oncology Department
By the year 2021 badulla radiation therapy unit with two consultants oncologist, 5 well experienced radiation therapist and junior staff is committed to providing a very friendly and reliable service to cancer patients in need of radiation therapy.
In addition to the badulla area our unit also directs patients to hospitals in Monaragala, Rathnapura, Hanbanthota, Mahiyanganaya and Ampara for radiation treatment. About 1500 cancer patients are registered in our department for radiotherapy treatments annually.
Our unit is provide radiation therapy to approximately 85 patients daily and ready to supply an expeditious service for all those patients.
Newly Started Service for Patients
In addition our unit has been able to make a significant contribution to the advancement of health care in sri lanka by launching the Radioactive iodine treatment service from mid 2018, from 2018 to October 2021 our department has been possible to provide iodine therapy to 882 patients.
Special Message to Patients
Badulla General hospital hopes to open a lineac accelerator radiation therapy unit soon, improving its radiation treatment services.
As a cancer patients you no longer for have suffer for the disease. Our radiation therapy unit strives to improve your quality of life by providing you with reliable and friendly services.
We all wish for the ultimate well-being of people and our sole objective is to provide friendly and reliable service to all patients come to us for radiation treatment.
We have recently started radioactive iodine treatment unit at PGH Badulla with the intension of further expanding of patients care and oncological service. This is a great help for patients thee who are suffering with thyroid cancer. Currently there will be huge waiting list for radio active treatment in Sri Lanka, Government and Private Sector Hospitals.
Currently we have four isolation rooms with all facilities and we can able to deliver 3.7 Gbq, 7.4 GBq, 1.11 GBq (5 Per Month) and 0.37 GBq (5 per Month)